Subject: Re: Bragging Time...
To: J. Buck Caldwell <buckaroo@igps.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/13/2000 10:37:32
At 12:09 PM 2/13/00 -0600, J. Buck Caldwell wrote:
>Added to my collection:
>   VAX 4000/200 with 32 megs of memory, FOUR (count 'em) SCSI controllers
>(CMD CQD443x2, CQD423, CQD223), just over 100 Gig of differential SCSI
>disks, KLESI, QT14, and LPV11.
>   VAXStation 4000/60 (internals not probed yet)
>   MicroVAX 3800 in a BA215, but it has a power issue.

Very nice. Quite a collection there, I am intensely jealous of your wealth
of SCSI interfaces :-)

>So: I don't have any PERTEC or LESI tapes, so I have for grabs a KLESI
>and QT14. I don't see myself attaching any printers, either, so the
>LPV11 can go if someone would like it.

I'd be happy to pay you shipping to send a QT14 this way. I've got a dead
PERSCI drive that may be worth debugging if I had something that could talk
to it.

>Also, I'd like to get a pointer or two from anybody familiar with the
>BA215 - the power plug, located at the bottom left of the front panel -
>it's keyed, but other than that, is it wired the same as a standard
>plug? We can't seem to get this one to power up. We put power to the
>device, then flip the "on" switch, and nothing happens. The circuit
>breakers on both PS seem to be non-tripped. Is there any reasonably easy
>way to take this box apart, or is there something obvious I'm missing?

It sounds like you have a BA213 not a BA215. The BA215 is rack mount with
the slots all facing "up" in the back. The BA213 has the slots facing
forwards and a space for drives in the "top."

Yes, the BA213 has a keyed plug (annoyed the heck out of me when I figured
that out, so does the BA440) anyway, the chassis won't light up unless both
supplies are on-line, and the supply won't come online unless it has
something to regulate. In one of mine I've got an other wise uselessly dead
SCSI drive attached to the drive power bus on the top to light up the left
hand supply. The right hand supply powers the TK50/70/85 and the backplane.
Also under the right hand supply (where the plug is on the left side) there
is a "remote power" control for boxes that are connected to a power
sequencer. It should not have anything plugged into it.

Did the 3800 come with the door? That is the only thing mine is missing :-(
For now I have a 3400 door on it but I'd like to have the real door on it
eventually.

Also tell use what kind of drive panel was in the top, a DSSI panel, SDI
panel, or a SCSI panel?

--Chuck