Subject: Re: Ultrix for Vax
From: Megan <mbg@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/09/2000 23:47:47
>Now what I want with Ultrix, when I've got NetBSD is another question,
>but I've got it running on one of my Decstations, and rather like it.
>Since DEC is not selling Ultrix, what category does that put it in?
>If somebody had tapes / CDs they were willing to lend me, are there
>still legal restrictions, copyright etc., which apply?

It is still licensed software and as such is subject to the terms
of the license.  Unless and until it is specifically announced that
such terms are lifted, they should probably be considered in effect.
Meaning that you cannot legally use distributions that a friend
loans you.

I think the code is encumbered, so it may not be possible for Compaq
to 'release' it to the general public anyway...

But, I'm not a lawyer and I don't speak for Compaq, I just work
there (and used to work on Ultrix).

					Megan Gentry
					Former RT-11 Developer

| Megan Gentry, EMT/B, PP-ASEL   | Internet (work): gentry!zk3.dec.com |
| Unix Support Engineering Group |          (home):  mbg!world.std.com |
| Compaq Computer Corporation    | addresses need '@' in place of '!'  |
| 110 Spitbrook Rd. ZK03-2/T43   | URL:     http://world.std.com/~mbg/ |
| Nashua, NH 03062               | "pdp-11 programmer - some assembler |
| (603) 884 1055                 |  required." - mbg                   |