Subject: Re: TK50 with KA650
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@jdwarren.com>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@KPNQwest.NO>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/09/2000 21:18:29
Lord Isildur <mrfusion@jdwarren.com> writes:

> the TK50 controller is the last thing on the bus right now..

As Allison has already pointed out, the proper order is CPU, memory,
network interface, tape controller, serial ports, disk controllers.

I think I may have found the reason for my suspicion that there is a
relevant revision level problem.  Here's a summary I wrote quite some
time ago (in email to Steven Schultz; thus the reference to "2.11"
means 2.11BSD, and "/83" is a PDP-11/83) about a TQK50/KA650 problem
that had been giving me some grief:

| Oh, and do you remember my TK50 troubles?  My /83 would crash during
| dumps to TK50, but for some reason only with a networking kernel.  It
| turns out to be a revision level problem.  I discovered, as I was
| trying to boot a diagnostic tape to check out some hardware I'd
| connected to my KA650, that you can't just boot that processor off any
| old TK50 -- the controller has to be at a reasonably late revision
| level.  In fact, the controller that I was using in the /83 when I had
| all those problems is unable to even attempt to boot a KA650!  With a
| TK50 controller that I've verified as able to boot the VAX, I find
| that 2.11 has no problems whatsoever with dumps!  :-)

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"