Subject: Re: TK50 with KA650
To: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@KPNQwest.NO>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@jdwarren.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/09/2000 10:36:45
hello,

> I've got both CPUs, and have never seen any problems with any
> combination of boards, but -- and I'm really, really reaching back
> down into the murky depths of my mind now! -- I seem to recall that
> there can, indeed, be problems getting a KA650 to work with other
> boards that a KA630 has no problems with, if the KA650 is old, that
> is, below a certain revision level.  It was something about the Qbus
> access logic that was slightly wrong, I think.  Related to timing, if
> my memory serves.  Does this ring a bell for anyone?

yes, if this is the case, this could be it. My KA650 has a very old
firmware, from before the fancy commands like SHOW QBUS.. it announces
its rev as 1.4 when it comes up. ive never seen such a problem before, and
didnt get any hints of it reading the KA650 maintenance manual.. where
might one find information about this problem, and any ideas on fixing
it? if it's timing, i'll try rearranging things, perhaps. the TK50
controller is the last thing on the bus right now.. (rightly so, it is
seldom used..)

the card is properly seated, settings are what _shoudl_ be right, and
the cable is correct. i'd like to think that the thing didnt just flake
out on me!

i'll see if i can find reference to a problem with this old revision of
KA650. as an aside, is this in the firmware or is the the board itself that
is to blame? if it's firmware, does anybody have a newer KA650 firmware i
could burn to eproms or something?

tia,
isildur