Subject: Re: VUP
From: Alex van Denzel <bitbucket@adenzel.demon.nl>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/03/2000 22:51:11
Todd Whitesel wrote:

> Having been responsible for 68k Dhrystone numbers at a past job, I can
> say with some authority that the Dhrystone 2.1 code contains many
> constructs that can be partially (or totally) optimized into oblivion
> simply because they produce no useful result -- the compiler figures
> this out in a safe manner and then just blows the code away.

That reminds me of someone (hazy past...) trying to calculate pi to the
somewhereth decimal (or the last prime... whatever...) but to spare some
trees (past, as in paper terminals), he blissfully ignored the output...
He was astounded at the speed the program executed, until he unassembled
the output and only got a RET...

--
Alex

Replace bitbucket with anything else.