Subject: Re: VUP - speediedeamons and the World's Slowest VAX?
To: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/02/2000 17:00:46
On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Allison J Parent wrote:

> <which makes them the slowest VAXen in the world, tied with the MicroVAX I?
> <I would assume I/O on the MVI was slower than the 725 or 730?
>
> The Microvax-I is the slowest bar none, it emulates more instructions than
> any of the 700 series and the bus while ok had Qbus speed memories rather
> than PMI and thats slow.

You always say that Allison, but actually the MicroVAX-II emulates more
instructions than the MicroVAX-I.  The main deficiency in the MicroVAX-I
is that it only supports F_float and one of either D_float or G_float
whereas the MicroVAX-II has F,D,and G_float support.

It's all in the VARM.  I can quote page numbers when I get home if anyone
cares.

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
          Prophets are superior to you and me, but not to the
          Six Million Dollar Man. Unless they're bionic too.  -- K.