Subject: Re: VUP - speediedeamons and the World's Slowest VAX?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/02/2000 19:14:26
<which makes them the slowest VAXen in the world, tied with the MicroVAX I?
<I would assume I/O on the MVI was slower than the 725 or 730?

The Microvax-I is the slowest bar none, it emulates more instructions than
any of the 700 series and the bus while ok had Qbus speed memories rather
than PMI and thats slow.

<And, then taking the other side of the coin, what would be one of the
<more speedy VAXen that the average Joe might run across in surplus
<that NetBSD would be happy with?

3100/m90

Though 6000 and the other big number boxen can be faster.  The difference
is in the IO structures.  For example a MV-II with RA82 is faster than
MV-II with RQDX3 or maybe SCSI of the same era.

Allison