Subject: Re: VUP - speediedeamons and the World's Slowest VAX?
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/02/2000 15:00:12
> On the third hand, the only reason one _might_ care about documenting how
> slow a VAX is, is to compare with still slower machines like the PC-XT. :-)
> The VUPs are documented and available in the literature so re-creating them
> appears to me at least to have little value.

For the sake of discussion and having the world's slowest IBM RISC toy,

IFF I am reading the VUP tables correctly, the 725 and 730 are 0.3 VUP
which makes them the slowest VAXen in the world, tied with the MicroVAX I?
I would assume I/O on the MVI was slower than the 725 or 730?

And, then taking the other side of the coin, what would be one of the
more speedy VAXen that the average Joe might run across in surplus
that NetBSD would be happy with?

Some of the 4000 series look interesting, and the MicroVAX 3100 9x series.
Would they be good things to keep eyes out for?

Just curious.....(:+}}...

Bob