Subject: Re: VS II/RC funzies... what are the pieces?
To: Bruce Lane <kyrrin@bluefeathertech.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/31/2000 14:33:12
> >   e)  DiLogic DQ696 HD controller (ESDI?)
>
> Yes indeed, and a nice one too! It will do up to 24MHz ESDI drives, if I'm
> not mistaken.

Progress report on the MVII funzies..... so far nil.....(:+{{.....

I tried all the later nbsd suites that had boot setups (1.3.2 and 1.4.1)
for tk50, but all of them had problems.

1.3.2 booted fine, and I thought labelled the drive OK, but it kept
constantly dying on the miniroot boot.  I tried it several times and
several ways to manually get it going, and all failed.  I am suspecting
the labelling was not quite right, since it died without finding the
right partitions to mount.

I tried 1.4.1, and it booted, but died horribly, not liking the HD.
I then tried relabelling on 1.3.2, just in case that might make something
go, and it still died.

I am expecting it does not like the ESDI quite well enough.

Anyone have any tk50 boot bits to write a boot tape set for the
NetBSD 1.4P suite?

Another problem I ran into was that my VAXen with 1.4P refued to write
tk50 tapes.  I had to bring up an Ultrix VAX to write the boot tapes.
Anyone know of any inconsistencies in 1.4P with tk50 tapes?

> >   g)  Viking VIK/QTO SCSI(?) controller (50 pin header thing)
>
> 	Wow! Nice find!

On a lark, I tried booting ultrix off scsi cd, but never could figure
out any sort of correct device name to use.  Anyone got a list of
prom commands for the MVII?  That would help muchly.  IFF I could boot
the MVII into Ultrix first, then load off swap, that might be the
best way to go about doing things.  TK tapes are S L O O O O O W !

> >IFF I have a second Maxtor 700mb ESDI drive, can I pull the TK50 tape
> >and hook that up to the drive controller?  I am assuming I will have
>
> 	Don't see why not, but be careful of the power supply capacity. The BA23
> enclosures didn't have the strongest supplies on the planet.

I did some poking around in the back of the drive bay, and there were
connector positions labelled HD1 and HD2, so I am assuming it was originally
specced out to run dual HD's in this particular chassis.  Does that mean
I have a later chassis, since it was a full backplane thing and not an
RC gunked up backplane?  Also, what is it about the power supply cabling
that can burn or catch fire.  Someone mentioned that, and I thought I
had remembered hearing of such things on some models.  Mine was on for
3 days straight, during our recent snow funzies, and did not seem to
get any strange smells indicative of overheating.

Any insights are appreciated.

Thanks

Bob