Subject: Re: vax netbooting question
To: Can Altineller <altine@ee.fit.edu>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/28/2000 11:37:51
On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Can Altineller wrote:

> 	Ok. The bootparamd is working correctly at the beginning.
> The machine gets it name and the ip# and all that to get the kernel,
> and I can see bootparamd responding to whoami queries. and it mounts the
> the root directory (according to my messages) however the machine errs
> thinking that it can not.
>
> 	I will try dhcp tonight. if anyone else more ideas, please
> let me know.

If you're running RedHat 6.0, 6.1 or some other distribution based on one
of those RedHats... they've seriously mucked their NFS implementation. The
mountd under Linux answers the initial request from from the bootloader to
NFS mount the Linux filesystem using NFSv3.  The mountd is supposed to say
"I don't know about NFSv3" but instead it says that it does know about it.
Then when the actual NFS mount happens, Linux fails miserable because it
doesn't actually support NFSv3.

The best solution at this point is to use a non-Linux NFS server.  (I'm
not sure if there are other current Linux distributions which do the right
thing). It should be possible to short the logic of the NetBSD bootloader
to use NFSv2, but I've not looked at what it would take to do this yet.

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
            My favorite programming language is solder.