Subject: Re: HA4000 Transceivers: How do they work?
To: Douglas Meade <inforum@umd5.umd.edu>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/27/2000 22:39:57
Hi !

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Douglas Meade wrote:
> I picked up a couple of HA4000's recently, having only seen them
> before in pictures.  I was interested in putting some real DEC
> equipment into my home network of Vaxes and Pmaxes.  However,
> giving them a good look, I realize I don't have the foggiest
> idea how to hook them up.  In the middle of the device, there
> is a clamp, with a little sharp thingy that looks like it's supposed
> to dig into a wire of some kind, passing through there.  Would
> that be a thinnet coaxial cable?

Ah, very old stuff :-). Ok, I never mouted such a beast, but i've a h4005 in
my hands right now. It's a real ETHERNET transceiver, you need the yellow
cable to screw it on. Thinnet cable doesn't work. As i see, the way to mount
it will be the following:

Release the screw from the clamp.
Align the cable with the mark at the little pin in the middle of the xcvr.
Slide the clamp onto the transceiver with cable
Fasten the screw.

The dot punches into the cable, the mark sais, there is no shield in the
way. But maybe checking it before using might make sense, as said, i never
mounted an ethernet transceiver myself, i only "heard of it" and have this
stuff lying around here for give-away.

...Michael

--
 Michael@camaronet.de, Rottweil/Germany, http://www.camaronet.de