Subject: Re: Dual disk BA23's
To: None <cmcmanis@freegate.com, port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/27/2000 08:55:09
> Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 12:59:08 -0800
> To: port-vax@netbsd.org
> From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@freegate.com>
> Subject: Dual disk BA23's
>
> I vaguely recall reading someone who mentioned that DEC did not support a
> BA23 with dual hard drives in its two bays. I have found this is not the
> case, the VS3200 in the rack configuration shipped in at least one
> configuration where the it had two BA23s, the "top" one was two drives and
> the bottom one had the TK50 in it. I've got half of one of those and the
> plastic front has a tan cover over where the TK50 would go and two disk
> control stations (WPROT/Ready) for Drive 0 and Drive 1.

As I think I hinted at in a previous message, there is a problem with
power-supply overload.  My experience was that the power supply in the
BA23 does not have the capacity to run the CPU and the memory and the
video board, and start two disk drives.  At least drives of the vintage
MaxTor 8380 and 8760.  Once the drives are running, then it's OK.  A
sequenced startup does the trick.

    carl

        carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
                                                  clowenstein@ucsd.edu