Subject: issue w. disklabel/fsck_ffs in install procedure
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org, elt96ahs@legolas.mdh.se>
From: Stephan Schwerzmann <sschwerzmann@access.ch>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/27/2000 14:34:17
G'Day all,

  I am using the cdboot-inst.fs that Anders created for
"VS3100 and friends".
  My VS3100m76 reads it well from a CD-R in an old DEC
RRD42 CD-ROM drive and boots smoothly.

>>> BOOT DKB400

  Then the install starts and I choose a) to install onto
HD, incl. repartitioning the target HD by means of the proposed
disklabels (I tried both std. & std. w. X).

  At this point this the install chokes: it reports
an error from command "disklabel -w -r sd1 mydisk".

  To not just stand here as a full greenhorn, I exited to sh
from the install and tried following commands by hand (output
not shown here):

# disklabel -w -r sd1 mydisk
# newfs /dev/rsd1[ad]
# fsck_ffs -f /dev/sd1[ad]

  All of them run thru smoothly, without reporting any errors; but
then back into install I cannot get further than a) -> disklabel
or b) -> fsck_ffs.

  I did my first trials with a DEC RZ25 HD (ca. 450MB) as target.
  I mailed direcly to Andres about that - I cite his answer:
>>   Can you give me a hint about what's going wrong on my system?
>>
> I've seen some problems of this kind with the smaller RZ disks, but
> so far i haven't been able to find a solution. It might be time to
> make a new cd-boot, with a newer kernel. As far as i know the problems
> are gone in the post-1.4M kernels. You might try a newer disk, i use
> a 1Gig Fujitsu disk, and have had another 525 Meg Fujitsu in it too.
> Both disks are SCSI-2 devices. I've had no problems at all with them,
> which leads me to suspect that it's the SCSI-1 devices that doesn't work
> as expected.

  I experimented further with following HDs but without success *) :
 - DEC RZ26B (1GB)
 - IBM DALS-3540 (540MB)
 - IBM DSAS-3540 (540MB)

(* same story for each: install chokes on disklabel/fsck_ffs - same
commands issued by hand OK)

  If I interpret boot output correctly at least the 2 IBM drives
are reported as SCSI-2. Since that little I was able to run worked well
(mount the partitions, create some dirs/files, moove'm around, delete'm)
is that SCSI-1/2 the proper hint?

  Who's next in telling me what I'm doing wrong?

  Is my HW bogous? I think not, I'ts VAX stuff... :-)

Thanks in advance
Stephan
sschwerzmann@mus.ch

PS: I'd _really like_ to have this ol'VS3100m73 up and running...
PS2: Andres, you were right, the VS4100/90 cannot boot from your
cdboot-inst.fs - I keep trying hard on the VS3100m76...

--
Microsoft(R) Windows NT(TM)
(C) Copyright 1985-1996 Microsoft Corp.