Subject: Re: Dual disk BA23's
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@freegate.com>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/26/2000 23:02:31
Hi !

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Chuck McManis wrote:
> I vaguely recall reading someone who mentioned that DEC did not support a
> BA23 with dual hard drives in its two bays. I have found this is not the
> case, the VS3200 in the rack configuration shipped in at least one
> configuration where the it had two BA23s, the "top" one was two drives and
> the bottom one had the TK50 in it. I've got half of one of those and the
> plastic front has a tan cover over where the TK50 would go and two disk
> control stations (WPROT/Ready) for Drive 0 and Drive 1.

I have such a 19" MV II standing around here. As i know, this is the same
chassis as in a BA23. There is the possibility to put 2 drives inside, usually
one slot is used by the tape, or maybe a floppy. I never tried to put 2 disks
in it, but the distributor in my chassis has all connectors for a second
MFM disk. Somewhere there was a label, that this doesn't work, but do we have
to believe this ? With no WPROT/Ready controls and displays, the drive is just
readwrite ond online. It should just be tried, i see good success for a
dual-disk BA23.

...Michael

--
 Michael@camaronet.de, Rottweil/Germany, http://www.camaronet.de