Subject: Using -O2 to build NetBSD/vax.
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/26/2000 06:23:49
I noticed that vax uses -O to build userland and not -O2.

The _reason_ I noticed is because with 1.4.2_ALPHA of 20000120,
dist/ipf/ipmon.c compiles with -O2 but fails with -O .
It gets a hideously large unrecognized insn in main().

Does vax get built with -O because -O2 takes too long to compile,
or because other files don't get compiled right?

I'm already running a cross /usr/libexec/cc1 on a 200+ mhz box anyway,
so switching from -O to -O2 for vax builds isn't going to slow me down.

What _would_ speed me up at this point is VLC cache/SCSI support getting
pulled up to 1.4.2, although I'm not counting on that happening.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com