Subject: Console funnies on a MicroVax 3100/20
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: None <Lloyd.Parkes@vuw.ac.nz>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/26/2000 17:22:25
I have a MicroVAX 3100/20 (well I think it's a 20 anyway), and I am
having some trouble getting NetBSD to use the console.

I have a VT420 plugged into the 3100. I have an MMJ cable connecting MMJ
connector #1 on the 3100 to an MMJ-DB25 converter on the VT420. When I
switch the machine on, I get PROM messages just fine. I tried to boot a
number of ways, all with the same result. At the moment, I have
cdboot.fs from the current section of the FTP site dd'ed onto the SCSI
hard disk that I am booting from.

When I boot from the hard disk, I get the following behaviour. The boot
loader loads. It then automatically loads the kernel. The kernel sizes
and the twirling progress thingy appear as normal. Then nothing. If I
wait a short while, and listen carefully, I can hear the second hard
disk spin up. I guess this means that the kernel is running, even though
nothing seems to be sent to the console. If I press the reset button on
the back, then I get some baud barf on the console. I can get normal
text at this point by switching the terminal to 4800bps instead of 9600
bps. If I try switching the console to 4800bps real soon after starting
the boot process, it doesn't seem to help.

Does anybody know where my console messages might be going?

--
Lloyd Parkes, Network Manager, School of Earth Sciences
Victoria University of Wellington