Subject: Re: VS II/RC funzies...
To: None <port-vax@netBSD.org>
From: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/24/2000 22:41:53
<On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, J. Buck Caldwell wrote:
<>Um... are you sure that's video, and not ethernet? If I recall, the BA23
<>doesn't have enough oomph in the power supply to support the Q{D|V}SS...

It was a standard config with QVSS and others.  The real problem with
ba23 often was lack of space.  Also making sure you have the revised
power bridge connector.  The PS is not small by any means.

I have one with two 8mb rams, RQDX3(2x RD54), DELQA, TK50(external drive
box), DHV11 and at one time VCB02 plus a second plane putting the box at
max for space and power.  Ran great for over two years under the desk
at DEC.  It still runs but without the VCB02s (no room for the big tube).

The BA123 is more flexible as it's plenty of power and lots of board and
drive space but the BA23 is a good box for more modest systems.

Also a performance trick that works for VMS and ultrix and likely as well
for NetBSD. Use one RQDX3 per RD54.  One controller per spindle buffers
the rather slow MFM drives and helps performance some.  When I do this even
if the second drive is a RD52 (30mb quantum QD540) it works as that gets
designated as swap and misc low use storage.

Allison