Subject: Re: VS II/RC funzies... what are the pieces?
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Douglas Meade <inforum@umd5.umd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/24/2000 15:35:05
Bob,

> > >    d)  3 each grant continuity cards
>
> What do these things actually do?

Nothing!  Except ensure that your bus is continuous.  Otherwise,
if you have a gap, the computer will not see anything beyond
that gap.

> > >    e)  DiLogic DQ696 HD controller (ESDI?)
> >
> > You lucked out with the memory and the disk controller.  There are
> > some threads earlier this summer both from me and Chuck McManis
> > on how to get another disk formatted for this controller, how to
> > set it up to coexist with a RQDX3, etc.
>
> Where do I find those, or does anyone have a copy they could bounce
> me?

Well, you can always search the port-vax mailing lists on

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NETBSD/mailing-lists/port-vax

or you may like to know that the formatting utility can be started from
the >>> prompt with:

D/P/L 20088004 80000001
D/P/W 20001F40 20
D/P/W 2000146A 3FFF
S 200

This starts up the Dilog Disk Formatter Utility.  Just follow the
instructions, it's pretty straightforward.  If you get another
ESDI disk that was formatted for a PC, you'll need to reformat
it with the Dilog utility before you can disklabel and newfs it
for NetBSD.  Also, although the ESDI specs originally planned for
up to 7 drives, like SCSI, most controllers will only handle 2
(in your case) or 4.  The drive number (DS) is chosen by a jumper
on the bottom of the drive.  The PC's had a system of using a twisted
cable, so that both drives would be set to DS2, and the twist to the
cable made one appear as DS1 and the other DS2.  The Dilog controller
makes them appear exactly as they are jumpered.  Also, if you're using
two drives, then the first drive in the chain must not be terminated,
and the second drive should be.  I've made a small collection of
data sheets for some of the ESDI drives I've got, but you can
also find them easily enough on web searches.  A good one to be
on the lookout for is the Maxtor XT7680E, which is one of the
ones I got from our Physics dept, by the way.

Doug

P.S. - Thanks to Nigel Johnson and Chuck McManis for the Dilog
info.  My disks have been working hard since I got them up and
running.  Now, if I could just make them run a little more quietly...