Subject: Re: VS II/RC funzies...
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/24/2000 14:42:54
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, NetBSD Bob wrote:
> >OK, now I am really VAXconfused......(:+{{...

Slowly developing VAXspeak.....

> >In a previous post I gave the boards I had.  Briefly, a KA630,
> >MS630-B, Clearpoint MV2/RAM/8, DiLogic QD696, M7546 TK50, Viking
> >VIK/QTO scsi, DZQ11, DEQNA.

>   So...according to the contents of the box, what you've got there is a
> not-quite-factory-standard (but *extremely* nice!) configuration of a
> MicroVAX-II.

OK, now to some board layout details.  The slots are, I think....

8        7        6        5        4        3        2        1

<----- other ----------------------->        MEM      MEM      CPU

looking from the back of the card cage where cards are inserted.

The CPU and two memory cards are full height cards that I know came
out of slots 1/2/3.

The rest of the cards are half height cards.  Is there an optimal
setup of them for bus priority or that kind of thing?  I might
expect the QD696 to be in slot 4 top, with bus arbitrator in bottom?
Maybe M7546 TK50 in slot 5, with bus arbitrator in bottom?
Maybe VIK/QTO scsi (is it tape or tape/HD capable?) in slot 6 with
a bus arbitrator in the bottom.
Maybe DEQNA in slot 7 top and DZQ11 in slot 7 bottom?

Is that logical reasonable acceptable or recommended?

The console is a 9 pin db thing on the top right backpanel?
What is the serial port to the left of that with the dialup
speed rotary switch, or am I confused about those?

IFF I make up my own cable, to a standare Wyse sort of terminal
or a VT420 terminal, is the cable straight through or is transmit
and receive null modemed?  What are the minimum pins necessary
to connect (I am used to using only 2/3/7 and jumpering at each
end as necessary)?

There are 4 DB25-MMJ dongles screwed into the backpanel below
the db9 thing on what I am assuming are the DZQ11 ports?

The coaxial video output cable was disconnected from anything in
the card cage, and rolled up next to the backpanel.  I am assuming
that was because no video was left in the box (maybe it was a VS II
earlier, but someone removed the video to make it a server of some
sort, perhaps, in MVII rather than VSII configuration?

Is there a boot prom command listing somewhere for the KA630?
That would help me get it going.

B/3 MUA0 applies for booting, or something else?

What is the prom command for low-level formatting the drive, if needed?
Test 75?

Is there a show dev command in the KA630?

That is all I can think of, for now.....

Thanks

Bob