Subject: Re: VS II/RC funzies... what are the pieces?
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/24/2000 13:48:21
On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, NetBSD Bob wrote:
>OK, now I am really VAXconfused......(:+{{...
>
>In a previous post I gave the boards I had.  Briefly, a KA630,
>MS630-B, Clearpoint MV2/RAM/8, DiLogic QD696, M7546 TK50, Viking
>VIK/QTO scsi, DZQ11, DEQNA.
>
>The case is missing the front panel bezel, but on the front of the
>thing were the letters ``VS II/RC'' on a metal plate with led,
>power stuff, etc.  The case is a thin tower about 6 inches wide,
>with a backplane of 8 slots, which looks like a jpg shot in the
>NetBSD archives of a MicroVAX I.

  First, it's important to keep in mind that about a dozen different machines
were shipped in that same chassis...a bunch of VAXen and several PDP11s.
The presence of a KA630 (a MicroVAX-II processor) means it's some variant of a
MicroVAX-II.  The absence of a video card means it's not a VAXstation, but a
MicroVAX.  The absence of spooge in the backplane slots means it's not an -RC
machine [anymore].

  So...according to the contents of the box, what you've got there is a
not-quite-factory-standard (but *extremely* nice!) configuration of a
MicroVAX-II.

                      -Dave McGuire