Subject: VS II/RC funzies... what are the pieces?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/24/2000 11:35:30
OK, this weekend I had a look at the guts of the VS II/RC and pulled
the boards to clean them.  This is what was actually in the beast,
as near as I can tell.  If anyone has any comments as to how adaptable
the thing is, I would appreciate them.  It looks like maybe there is
enough there to actually make an interesting machine out of it, after
I get the thing de-dustbunnied......

1.  Backplane --- looks like a full 8 slot backplane.  I did not see
    any resin filled or otherwise nuked slots, and every slot was
    taken up with boards.

2.  Tape was a TK-50.

3.  HD was an Imprimis (CDC? or Seagate?) 94196-766.  Some folks have
    suggested it is a 766 mb ESDI thing?

4.  Boards:

   a)  KA630 CPU

   b)  MS630B VS II video board (mono?)

   c)  Clearpoint MV2RAM/8 (8mb ram board?)

   d)  3 each grant continuity cards

   e)  DiLogic DQ696 HD controller (ESDI?)

   f)  M75456 TK-50 tape controller

   g)  Viking VIK/QTO SCSI(?) controller (50 pin header thing)

   i)  DZQ11  4 line asynchronous i/o board

   j)  DEQNA ethernet board

Alas, when I took the boards out for cleaning them up, I was not
thinking, and did not note the positions of the cards other than
slot 1 == cpu,  slot 2 == video,  slot 3 == ram.

Can anyone give me a suggested board layout for reinstalling the
board set correctly?

IFF it actually has an esdi controller and a scsi controller, can
those work correctly with NetBSD?  If so, it may have the potential
to make a better 5 buckeroo machine that I originally thought.

Any suggestions or insights are appreciated.

IFF I have a second Maxtor 700mb ESDI drive, can I pull the TK50 tape
and hook that up to the drive controller?  I am assuming I will have
to make another drive signal cable, or borrow one from a PC and then
make up a longer data cable.  With a pair of 700mb drives, and the
scsi I/O port, it should make a nice little VS II, although I hear
the beast is slower than an 11/780?  But, hey, dumpster divers can't
be all that choosy.....(:+}}...

The Masscomp 5400 thing that I got at the same time was a 68020 machine
with 1 meg ram and an 80mb mfm drive, and archive 60mb tape.  I wound
up liberating it for parts and the tape drive to use on my old suns.
2 buckeroos for a spare tape drive is worthwhile, in my book.

So, what NetBSD course of action is reasonable on the old VS II/RC
beastie?  This week in the surplus pit, I may be able to find its
companion monitor (VR262?), for a buck or two, and I have some
feelers out in the department from whence the beastie came, for
any remaining docs or manuals.

Thanks

Bob