Subject: panic: pmap_ptefault on 1.4.2_ALPHA
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/23/2000 03:33:56
I checked out 1.4.2_ALPHA on the 20th, and had my VLC 4000 start building it.
Haven't had this machine for more than a week, so I can't give any history.
The box has 24 megs and was previously owned by Matt Thomas.
Kernel is GENERIC. Now that I'm building userland I start seeing this:

Everything seems fine until the build has been going for a while (at least
30 minutes). Then it becomes possible that a new set of activity will cause:

panic: pmap_ptefault
syncing disks... done

  83 BOOT SYS

(followed by the boot block countdown prompt which doesn't actually count...)

Tonight it happened to me twice, once when I tried rsh'ing to the box to
tail a log file, and again just now as the 3:15am daily script started up.

One other detail, the machine is regularly ssh'ing to an HP/UX box. I have
actually built a cross version of /usr/libexec/cc1 to help out the VLC as it
is quite slow (comparable, but not favorably so, to a sun3/60). Now that I
think about it I'm pretty sure I got this panic once while the machine was
building its first kernel under its own power, so this probably isn't related.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com