Subject: Re: VAXstation II/RC + [OT] PDP bus question
To: Greg Ingram <ingram@symsys.com>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/21/2000 16:03:15
Hello Greg and Bob,

At 03:03 PM 1/21/00 -0600, Bob's comments:
> Hey, if you were local, I would toss it your way.  I only have 5 bucks
> into it.   But, shipping would be a killer, transcontinental.  The case
> is complete except for the front plastic bezel cover.  Noone at the
> surplus pit seemed to know what it was.... a sleeper, for sure.
> I picked it up mostly for the curiosity.

Sigh, this happens alot. There no doubt will be one over on the other coast
at some point.

> IFF the drive is large enough, what is the best way to try to get
> NetBSD VAX up on it?

Hook up a 10baseT tranceiver on the AUI ethernet port, set up a mopd and
dhcpd on another machine with some disk space. Boot it diskless using NFS,
then partition the drive manually and load up NetBSD.

> It has the tape and I picked up a spare TK50
> from surplus, also, today, so I could use that to write a tape from
> my running microVAXen, and then try running that.

Don't bother it is too slow.

Greg added this comment
>ps:  Anybody listening: are the later model PDP-11's Qbus?  If so, can I
>build one in a BA23 enclosure?  If so, Bob, where are you?

Yes, most (all?) of the PDP-11/x3's are Q-bus PDP-11s. The power supply is
easily swapped out and I've got a couple of them for just that purpose
around here. They are also usually fixable.

--Chuck