Subject: Re: VAXstation II/RC + [OT] PDP bus question
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Greg Ingram <ingram@symsys.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/21/2000 15:03:47
Hi Bob,

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, NetBSD Bob wrote:

> Hey, if you were local, I would toss it your way.  I only have 5 bucks
> into it.   But, shipping would be a killer, transcontinental.  The case
> is complete except for the front plastic bezel cover.  Noone at the
> surplus pit seemed to know what it was.... a sleeper, for sure.
> I picked it up mostly for the curiosity.
>
> IFF the drive is large enough, what is the best way to try to get
> NetBSD VAX up on it?  It has the tape and I picked up a spare TK50
> from surplus, also, today, so I could use that to write a tape from
> my running microVAXen, and then try running that.  Is there a recent
> boot tape set for the VAX port somewhere?  I don't recall that in
> the arch tree.  Mebbie it is time to roll one?  I don't have any
> way to clone the drive from the other machines since they are all
> scsi.

I installed NetBSD on my VS II/RC via the network.  Does yours have DEQNA?
If so, you'll probably need a 10baseT transceiver.  I paid around $30 for
mine.  It was kind of complicated to get bootpd, bootparamd, dhcpd, etc.
set up but the netbooting FAQ is pretty good.  Best clue:  Use the
debugging options was watch the logs on another console.

I had some problems getting the disk partitioned.  I had to edit the
disklabel outside the normal setup routine, but then I was able to restart
the setup and continue with the installation.

- Greg

ps:  Anybody listening: are the later model PDP-11's Qbus?  If so, can I
build one in a BA23 enclosure?  If so, Bob, where are you?  I've got a
PDP-11 whose power supply cratered.  The DEC resale shop here in Houston
wants WAY too much for parts and I don't know anything about fixing it
myself.  But I'd love to have the old beast run again someday.  Thanks.