Subject: Re: VAXstation II/RC and Masscomp 5400 info?
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/21/2000 15:36:32
> The VS II is a MicroVAX II (KA630) CPU in the BA23 chassis. Since it is a
> VaxStation (as opposed to MicroVAX) it will have the VCB-xx video option.
>
> Cabling is as follows:
> 	CPU has two connectors that connect ribbon cables to the
> 	console port on the back (10 pin and 26? pin) you can't
> 	really screw these up.

OK....

> 	Then the video will have a cable that connects to the 15 pin
> 	connector (the DEC standard cable is black) This is where
> 	you would normally connect the keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

OK....

> 	Then the M7516 is the ethernet card and you connect that to
> 	the ethernet connector.

There is one loose dangling coax cable inside that attaches to the
top small 2x3 inch card on the back panel.  Where does that go?
I looks as if it just went to a single pin header or else it got
pulled out of something like a BNC connector.  Is that video?

> Between boards you will have a ribbon cable that connects the CPU to one or
> two memory cards. Between the QDSS video card(s) there will be either 2 (4
> plane graphics) or 3 (8 plane graphics) and there are sort of weird leap
> frogged ribbon cables between them and a straight ribbon cable at the bottom.

OK....

> There will be a tape controller board that connects to a cable going back
> into the chassis (this comes out the front and connects to the TK drive).

OK.  Is the drive a TK 50 or TK 70?

> The disk drive is the ESDI version of the Wren VI (a damn nice drive)
> (unless you've mis-read it and it is 94196-766). Either it will have a 50
> pin connector (SCSI) or two connectors (ESDI). These will connect to the
> (most likely) third party disk controller. If its SCSI you won big time
> since they are not common, if it is ESDI its still nice because ESDI drives
> are still pretty easy to come by.

Yeah, it is the 94196-766, so I apparently misread it the first time.
What exact sort of drive is that?  I have not pulled it out of the
case yet, far enough to check the cabling for scsi or esdi, but it
appears to be a dual cable which would suggest esdi or mfm, and
a very plebian size.  RD somethingorother?

> [Note to list, I'm still looking for a floor standing BA23 in the SF Bay
> area to hold my VS3200]

Hey, if you were local, I would toss it your way.  I only have 5 bucks
into it.   But, shipping would be a killer, transcontinental.  The case
is complete except for the front plastic bezel cover.  Noone at the
surplus pit seemed to know what it was.... a sleeper, for sure.
I picked it up mostly for the curiosity.

IFF the drive is large enough, what is the best way to try to get
NetBSD VAX up on it?  It has the tape and I picked up a spare TK50
from surplus, also, today, so I could use that to write a tape from
my running microVAXen, and then try running that.  Is there a recent
boot tape set for the VAX port somewhere?  I don't recall that in
the arch tree.  Mebbie it is time to roll one?  I don't have any
way to clone the drive from the other machines since they are all
scsi.

Thanks

Bob