Subject: Re: VAXstation II/RC and Masscomp 5400 info?
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/21/2000 10:01:25
The VS II is a MicroVAX II (KA630) CPU in the BA23 chassis. Since it is a
VaxStation (as opposed to MicroVAX) it will have the VCB-xx video option.

Cabling is as follows:
	CPU has two connectors that connect ribbon cables to the
	console port on the back (10 pin and 26? pin) you can't
	really screw these up.

	Then the video will have a cable that connects to the 15 pin
	connector (the DEC standard cable is black) This is where
	you would normally connect the keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

	Then the M7516 is the ethernet card and you connect that to
	the ethernet connector.

Between boards you will have a ribbon cable that connects the CPU to one or
two memory cards. Between the QDSS video card(s) there will be either 2 (4
plane graphics) or 3 (8 plane graphics) and there are sort of weird leap
frogged ribbon cables between them and a straight ribbon cable at the bottom.

There will be a tape controller board that connects to a cable going back
into the chassis (this comes out the front and connects to the TK drive).

The disk drive is the ESDI version of the Wren VI (a damn nice drive)
(unless you've mis-read it and it is 94196-766). Either it will have a 50
pin connector (SCSI) or two connectors (ESDI). These will connect to the
(most likely) third party disk controller. If its SCSI you won big time
since they are not common, if it is ESDI its still nice because ESDI drives
are still pretty easy to come by.

[Note to list, I'm still looking for a floor standing BA23 in the SF Bay
area to hold my VS3200]

--Chuck