Subject: Re: NetBSD WWW feedback from josef.doppler@ubs.com
To: Josef Doppler <josef.doppler@ubs.com>
From: Peter Garay <pgaray@bigfoot.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/20/2000 07:55:29

> On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Josef Doppler wrote:
>
> > josef.doppler@ubs.com (Josef Doppler) sent the following
> > comment about The NetBSD Project's WWW server:

> > Hallo
> >
> > I'm looking for a bootable version of netBSD for
> > MicroVax 3100 with TK50 tapedrive including either a
> > complete distribution of netBSD or all what I need to
> > install a base-system from tape and the rest from CD-ROM.
> >
> > Please tell me whether and where can I get this?
> >
> > Thanks and regards
> > J. Doppler

Until someone with more knowledge updates and corrects me:

Please check if your model of microvax 3100 is supported.... mine is a M40 and
is not (lurking here to see when it will work, would like to work on it, but
no time....)

Even if your model is supported, the booting off tape does not work - at least
with the last stable release, perhaps the new DMA SCSI would
work, but do not recall any reports... so first check out the supported hardware
page. Please report back on this list on what your box is, including the
memory size, there is no use asking for someone to create a tape if your
hardware is not supported...

The way to install is via the network from a BSD (or Linux) box or creating the
disk on an other system... you can also boot from an SCSI CD if you have a CD
drive that works in 512 byte sector mode... from (ex)DEC, Sun or some CD
recorders have this as a setting.

P.