Subject: Re: Hi all ! (+ a few questions :)
To: None <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: None <Lloyd.Parkes@vuw.ac.nz>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/19/2000 08:32:46
On 18 Jan, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> The machine seems to boot when I power it on. On the mainboard there is
> a 1-digit display which ends in state '3' after running some other digits.
> Does someone knows what it means ?

This is almost certainly the self test number. Older microvaxes only
needed one hex digit to enumerate their self tests. It counts down, with
0 being the state of running some sort of O/S. These digits will also be
written to the serial console. Test 2 is where it is trying to boot. I
suspect that it is searching for a boot device, but I could easily be
wrong.

> This is a strange 6-pin connector

This an MMJ connector and it is almost certainly the console. I have the
pinouts at home, and will post them if nobody else does. I will also try
and remember to email them to the FAQ maintainer along with the advice
posted earlier about mangling RJ11 connectors.

--
Lloyd Parkes, Network Manager, School of Earth Sciences
Victoria University of Wellington