Subject: Re: Applixware for NetBSD (fwd)
To: ville hautakangas <vhautaka@cs.Helsinki.FI>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@crue.jdwarren.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/14/2000 16:23:04
Ultrix would be wonderful, except that it doesnt run on the VLC.
The last VAXstation Ultrix ran on was the 3100/[34]8 (KA42).

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, ville hautakangas wrote:
> I would use Ultrix or even OpenVMS on it, if I only had a display that
> would cooperate with it. The displays on VS2000 and VS3100 won't
> work :(

it should be (IIRC) 1280x1024 at either 60 or 66 Hz.
A good multisync (if it can take SOG) will work.

> My 4000 (actually "my" 4000 since I don't officially own it, yet I have
> not heard from the guy who owns it for a year or something) has 16 MB
> ram, which should make it a really nice X terminal. And yeah, they
> seem to be SIMMs, so probably it could be fairly easily upgraded to
> 32 MB. Of course there has to be parity issues and such, but SIMM's
> are anyhow much easier to find than those evil memory boards
> in VS3100's.

The VLC is certainly a cute little box, and it does take ordinary 72-pin
parity memory, which is nice, but alas, nobody has any dcumentation for
these machines! (does anybody??? ive been tryign to find something!
woudl anyone be willing to split the cost of buying technical manuals
from DECPAQ with me? theyre _expensive_)

isildur