Subject: Re: Applixware for NetBSD (fwd)
To: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
From: Jamie Lovick <jalovick@drasticsolutions.com.au>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/14/2000 11:36:51
On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Michael Kukat wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Anders Hogrelius SdU wrote:
>
> > The VXT has a KA something processor, if my memory doesn't fail me, it's
> > the same processor as in the VS4000VLC. You can definitely boot it from
> > NetBSD. The only thing you will need is the bootimage with the X-server,
> > and either BOOTP+TFTP or MOP running.
>
> Warning... The 4000VLC is supported, but my short analysis of the VXT
> hardware showed some weird things. The I/O-memory map seems to be
> totally different from the usual VAXstations of this time. So NetBSD
> won't run... except someone did a port already.

Ahh yes, I am still waiting for that time that the little stack of
VS4000VLC's will be somewhat useful.

> > Obviously DEC thought that it should be possible to use the VXT, even
> > if the rest of the hardware wasn't made by them. So far i haven't seen
> > any other VAX'ish hardware than the VXT, that support booting with BOOTP
> > and TFTP instead of MOP.
>
> DECstations do, but even the newest VAXen don't, as i know. The VXT is
> thought as a general-purpose X-terminal, and this is what it can be
> used for. The docs i have apply to DECwindows on VMS, the VXT booting
> from an Infoserver, but when you look into the configs of this cute
> software, it knows about XFS, DNS, lots of stuff which makes it usable
> in networks without other DEC hardware at all. I used it as a fine
> solution to open up to 8 terminals on a DECserver, because it knows
> about LAT, and another menu entry opnened a X session on my Sun.

Is there ayet a setup (Dare I say NetBSD or otherwise, preferably free ..
:) ) that will allow me to setup a VS4000VLC as a diskless X-Terminal ?

Any info would be aprecieated. I might find a good use for them .. :)

Seeya

Jamie

--
Jamie Lovick  <->  IT Consultant   <-> +614 1479 1681
Hobby   : Doof.org                  -> jalovick@doof.org