Subject: Re: microvax 3100
To: None <ninja@unx.nu>
From: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/13/2000 11:35:07
On 13 Jan, mats pettersson wrote:

> Hello i have a microvax 3100 but i donno which model can some one pls give
> me a hint how i can fint that out ?
Do a
sh ver
at the bootprompt.

> i tried to make a bootable tk 50 tape
> but it seemed like it didnt work properly ...
The best way to install NetBSD is via netboot. See:
http://world.std.com/~bdc/projects/vaxen/VAX-netboot-HOWTO.html
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/

Or get
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/vax/cdboot/cdboot-inst.fs.gz
and burn it. Use a CDROM drive with 512 bytes/block. Or do somthing like
zcat cdboot-inst.fs.gz > /dev/rsd1c
on a helber machine to put the image on a spare disk. (Use /dev/rsd1d
on a i386 machine.) Connect the spare disk to the VAX an boot from it.

When you install NetBSD get the latest snapshoot. Or compile the latest
current. But this will take some days... It took two on my VAXstation
3100m76.

BTW:
[jkunz@oblina jkunz]$ mount
/dev/sd0a on / type ffs (local)
/dev/sd0d on /usr type ffs (local, soft dependencies)
/dev/sd1e on /usr/src type ffs (local, soft dependencies)
This gives a remarkable speedup        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
--

tschüß,
         Jochen