Subject: Re: Some Q-bus Cards Rescued from oblivion?
To: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/11/2000 20:18:33
Hi !

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000 jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de wrote:

> On 11 Jan, Douglas Meade wrote:
>
> > A general question:  After this much exposure to weather, especially
> > (freezing while wet), can these cards be expected to work?
> I picked up a 3C509 and a Sun 3/160 CPU board at the scrap yard, rusty
> and covered with mud. I puted the cards in to the shower, brushed them
> with warm water, rinsed them with isopropyl to get rid of the water,
> dryed the cards two days in my kitchen and now they are working well.
> :-)

Continuing this: I found a superb 72cm flatscreen-TV between some old tires
at a garage, when i changed my tires. This poor thing stood there in the rain
for several weeks. I cleaned it completely, repaired the only problem it had
(already before getting into trash), and had a very good TV working fine for
4 years now.
So, it doesn't matter, how the hardware looks, water is not dangerous for
electronics, as long as no power is fed into it. As jochen said, just clean
it, shake off the most of the water, and let it dry slowly, then you can check
it, and if it wasn't defective before your wash, it should work now.
Ah yes, this also worked with 10 mainboards, partly destroyed by acid from the
old batteries. 2 Were too damaged, but the other 8 work fine.

...Michael

--
 Michael@camaronet.de, Rottweil/Germany, http://www.camaronet.de
 Visit the german VAXpage: http://www.vaxpower.de