Subject: Re: VS3100 funzies.....
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/11/2000 20:26:40
Hi !

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, NetBSD Bob wrote:

> For the sake of discussion..... (it seems I am always in need of some
> discussion).....
>
> 1.  Does the VSX40 8 plane color card work with NetBSD on VS3100 machines?
> For the fun of it, I tried it last night.  Fine on Ultrix 4.2A, but
> died with an abort to prom early in the boot process on NetBSD-1.4P.
> What are the incompatibilities involved with the VSX40 color card
> and NetBSD?  Is this likely to be resolved, or should I default to
> the mono monitors for now?  Eventually, it might be nice to get one
> VS3100 up in graphics mode, if the hardware is compatible.

Nope... This is the GPX frame buffer. Color framebuffers in VAXstations are not
yet supported by NetBSD.

> 2.   When my VS3100 M30 or VS3100 M38 boot, on the mono monitors, VR-262
> and VRM-17, it originally boots in a large font 36 or so line mode.
> After the NetBSD first stage boot, it changes font to a 58 line or so
> VT100 mode.  I like the automatic VT100 emulation, BUT, since I am
> slightly myopic it can be difficult to read the 58 line screen.
> Can the screen be operated in the 35 line mode that it originally boots
> in, rather than changing to the microscopic font?  If so, how?

Ultrix also does so :-) Ok, maybe it's not a bad idea, to use a different
resolution. As i remember the sources, this should be not that great thing to
do. If you know C a little bit, you can look at the font sources, generate a
new font source file, and match the sources of smg.c (think this was it...) to
know about the new font. Current resolution (chars) is 128x57. Maybe 64x36
would be fine to read for you. This would result in a 16 dots / 24 lines font.

The 24 lines per char should be no problem, just redefine SM_CHEIGHT in smg.c,
but for 16 dots width, you have to modify the whole copy routines. They copy
1 byte per chat-line at the moment, you must copy 2 bytes for more width.

...Michael

--
 Michael@camaronet.de, Rottweil/Germany, http://www.camaronet.de
 Visit the german VAXpage: http://www.vaxpower.de