Subject: Some Q-bus Cards Rescued from oblivion?
From: Douglas Meade <inforum@umd5.umd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/11/2000 10:31:17
I went this week shopping at one of my favorite junkyards, and they
had done a little exterior decorating -- moved some pallets from one end
of the yard to the other.  Prowling around, I found myself looking down at
a mass of wet newspaper and cardboard, but with the telltale sign of
a Q-bus adaptor handle jutting out.  I carefully picked up the mass,
looked at it long enough to verify it was interesting, and bought
it at a good price.

A general question:  After this much exposure to weather, especially
(freezing while wet), can these cards be expected to work?  Also, on
the backs of some cards, there is a little rust, which might be expected
to short out some connections.  What would be a good substance to
use to try to remove this, while still not risking damage to the
card?

Now, for some identification questions:  Most of the cards were
pretty common (M7606, M7609, M9047, M7614, M7615, M7546, M7555),
but a few others have me stumped.

M9404 - Listed in field guide as 1st Qbus cable connecor
M9405 - Listed as 2nd Qbus cable connector
M7552 - I've no idea what this is, but was told it might be a CD
  controller.

Also, in a BA23 cabinet I picked up, I found a

M7740 - Listed as a Q-22 bus to LESI bus adaptor, used on disks with
  MSCP RC25 controller.  Also called KLESI-QA.  It connects to a plug
  on the patch panel with three rows of holes, 50 in total, that looks
  like the plug on the bottom of some of those VS2000's that have the
  connector for the external disk and tape drive.  What kind of disks
  can be attached to it?

and a

ACC ACP 5000, made by Advanced Computer Communications.  I gather this
  is some kind of serial port, but what does it plug in to?