Subject: Re: VAXstation 3100 boot cd?
To: Anders Hogrelius SdU <elt96ahs@mds.mdh.se>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/11/2000 10:08:30
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, NetBSD Bob wrote:
> > For the sake of clarity, what exactly is the cd boot fs for the VAXstation
> > 3100 machines that I see in the arch tree?

> I haven't yet had the time to write a HOWTO or README for the cdboot.fs.
> It should work with any VAX that can boot from SCSI. It might work with
> others too if written to a harddrive with DD. It's not a ISO image, and
> so far i've only come across two programs that work with NT or windoze95.
> Gear for windows, and Golden Hawk Tech's CDWRITE. Cdrecord works excelent
> with many UNIX-dialects also. The version on the cdboot is 1.4M. Not the
> latest, but it works stable for me anyway.

OK, that lets me out.  The only burner I have is on the silly NT crate,
and the boss won't let me put unix on it, any way shape or form.  Oh,
well, such is bosses.  But, for the sake of discussion, IFF the image
is not an iso image, I would assume it could be written to an HD such
as an RZ24 (what about RZ23 -- will it die on that drive?).  I keep
an RZ23 around with the pmax booter on it, and that works well.
Something like that for the VAXen would be great!

What does the cd image actually contain?  It is about 100mb, so I was
thinking it might contain the full binary distribution for VAX?

I have been carrying around an RZ25 set up as a full install, for
an emergency boot drive.  But, I like the idea of a CD boot or something
like that, since dumping/restoring from my emergency drive is slow.

Interesting idea, your cdbooter.  I will be waiting for your howto/readme.

Thanks

Bob