Subject: Re: Q-bus IDE: Good luck!
To: J.S. Havard <enigma@sevensages.org>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@crue.jdwarren.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/10/2000 21:55:02
The best disks made in recent history are CDC disks. The Wren-7 is hands
down the absolute most reliable disk I have ever seen. This lived on
after Seagate bought their disk division, as the ST41200. I have a stack
of these chugging away for years now in a microVAX, as well as a couple
hanging from a DECstation 5000. Almost as good are the last CDC disks,
the Seagate Hawk series of the mid '90s. very reliable. The barracudas
are almost as good, but suffer some heat problems. I've seen micropolis
3.5" disks burn up without too much effort, ive seen many a newer Quantum
7200 rpm disk overheat and die (including one which was baked by a
barracuda, which survived unscathed!), i cant say ive seen how the newer
IBM disks perform, but in my general opinion, very few 3.5" disks are to
be trusted, and most of them are 5400 RPM disks by virtue of the much
less heat they put out. HP disks in general have seemed overly prone to
head crashes, and maxtor ESDI disks are also pretty hard to hurt. Alas
that theyre not that big. Micropoles (plural of micropolis? :) are decent
but their later 3.5" disks i've not had the best of luck with: one burned
after only 4 months, one blew up some curcuitry, and one had a head
crash. When they work theyre very nice, though. I'll swear by the CDC
Wren's and the 5400 RPM hawks of '94-'96, though. Capacity and speed are
secondary to indestructibility in my opinion.

just my $.02
isildur