Subject: Re: VAXstation 3100 boot cd?
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Anders Hogrelius SdU <elt96ahs@mds.mdh.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/10/2000 22:59:35
On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, NetBSD Bob wrote:
> For the sake of clarity, what exactly is the cd boot fs for the VAXstation
> 3100 machines that I see in the arch tree?  Is that an iso or ufs image?
> Can that be burned from an NT (puke!) cdburner with the Adaptec EasyCD
> Creator (yes if iso, probably not if ufs)?

I haven't yet had the time to write a HOWTO or README for the cdboot.fs.
It should work with any VAX that can boot from SCSI. It might work with
others too if written to a harddrive with DD. It's not a ISO image, and
so far i've only come across two programs that work with NT or windoze95.
Gear for windows, and Golden Hawk Tech's CDWRITE. Cdrecord works excelent
with many UNIX-dialects also. The version on the cdboot is 1.4M. Not the
latest, but it works stable for me anyway.

> Does it work on the VS3100/30 and the VS3100/M38 machines, and is it
> likely to work on a plebian uVAX3100/10?

If it has a supported SCSI adapter, Yes.

> If so, that might save me having to keep a spare boot drive handy for
> bringing up new machines.

That's exactly what it's made for... :-)

> If so, what is the possibility of keeping that sort of thing around
> current, as the system progresses.  That would be a nice feature to
> have handy.

Since i haven't got the hardware needed to keep up with -current on my
box i have some problems keeping the cdboot.fs up to date with -current.
As soon as there is a binary dist that works i'll be able to make a new
image though. Actually it's not that hard to make a image that works
with a CD. A bootable vnd image with the installkernel and friends is
quite easy to make.

--
cheers,

/Anders

"Let the future tell the truth and evaluate each one according
to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs, the
future, for which I really worked, is mine."
(Nikola Tesla, 1856-1943)

* Anders Hogrelius SdU   Phone : +46 21 381860
* Tessingatan 12         E-mail: elt96ahs@mds.mdh.se
* 72216 Vasteras