Subject: Re: Anything strange about a uVAX 3100-M38?
To: Wolfgang Rupp <rupp@chello.at>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/03/2000 15:13:12
On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Wolfgang Rupp wrote:
> David Brownlee wrote:
> > On Sun, 2 Jan 2000, Wolfgang Rupp wrote:

> > 	We have some vax information on www.netbsd.org, but it could
> > 	definitely do with being expanded, might you be interested in
> > 	helping? :)
>
> Sure, why not :-)
>
> I know this has flame war potential, but maybe we should coordinate
> the various VAX / Qbus / general-DEC-related documentation efforts?!

I'd have to complete agree with you here :-)  There are quite a few
different sites pooling DEC hardware information together, much of it
redundant.

I'd even be a little bit more ambitious than what you've outlined in your
suggestions.  In a perfect world, it'd would be really nice to have a well
organized and indexed site covering everything from PDP-8s, PDP-10s,
PDP-11s, VAX, pmax, and Alpha hardware.  Fortunately, there enough
enthusiasts out there who're maintaining this sort of information, but
unfortunately it's all sort of scattered about.  The vaxarchive.org site
is sort of a reasonable initial attempt at tying some of this stuff
together.

To start with, I'd agree that a more limited scope of just supplying VAX,
Alpha, and PMAX information.  The PDP-11 stuff would be pretty easy as
well because there's so much overlap between their peripherals and the VAX
periperals.  I think it would be best to not go too crazy initially with
the scope of such of project.  Rather keep to limited to a couple of
architectures and get it well maintained.  If that is successful, then
you'd work to get other architectures interested in the site.

Ideally the site content would be mirrored, and it would be both friendly
to those users with only text based web access and those users with only
FTP access.  No friggin' MS-Word docs!  It's only right that people should
easily be able to access the site with their old hardware.

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----