Subject: Q-Bus IDE controllers.
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/03/2000 13:57:13
This is sort of an old topic on the NetBSD/vax list, but I'm not sure if
it's come up on the NetBSD/pmax list.  I figured I'd revisit the idea
since what the interest level is between the two groups.

The following site contains information about an ATA Q-Bus and a Unibus
controller designed by Ukranian Dmitry Pryanishnikov.  The site contains
design schematics and driver code for some PDP-11 based Q-Bus operating
systems and I think a driver for VAX/VMS.

  ftp://zane.brouhaha.com/pub/dsu/

It's a pretty simple design without DMA capabilities, but it does open the
door to using really cheap IDE drives for storage.  It's a non-MSCP
device so a new device driver would have to be written for NetBSD, but I
don't imagine that would be a horrible task given the interface details
illustrated in the example code for the other operating systems.  I'd even
be willing to take a crack at it.

The more difficult part for me and (many others) comes with fabricating
the things.  Does anyone have experience with building low-volume custom
PCBs that won't cost us lots of money?  Or does anyone know if there are
suppliers somewhere which have old stashes of Q-Bus prototyping boards?

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
So Sigmund Freud, William Shatner, Bill Clinton, and James Earl Jones
are trapped in an elevator.  I think it would go SOMETHING like this...
HELP!  WE'RE TRAPPED IN AN ELEVATOR WITH WILLIAM SHATNER!!!  -- K.