Subject: Re: Maxtor XT-8760S 700mb drive in VS3100 or DS5000/200?
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org, port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/03/2000 11:59:53
> From port-vax-owner-clowenst=ucsd.edu@netbsd.org Mon Jan  3 10:54 PST 2000
> From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
> Subject: Maxtor XT-8760S 700mb drive in VS3100 or DS5000/200?
> To: port-vax@netbsd.org, port-pmax@netbsd.org
> Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 13:57:21 -0500 (EST)
>
> I have what appears to be a functional Maxtor XT8760S drive that has a note
> on it that the previous owner had used it with a DS5000 machine.  My problem
> is that I can't get the thing to spin up properly.  It may be nuked or it
> may have a jumper off somewhere.  Anyone have a motor-on-at-power-up jumper
> setting for this drive?  Either my VS3100 or my DS5000 gets it, if it works,
> so it might be a useful drive, assuming I can find the right settings.
> Any pointers thereto are appreciated.  Places like theref and that sort
> of url don't have any jumper settings, just the minimal specs.

Here's a paragraph straight from an old MaxTor FTP site:

4.2  DRIVE POWER-UP OPTIONS

       In order  to allow for system power supply constraints,
       which  may   require  minimizing   surge  current  when
       powering up multiple disk drives, three modes of start-
       up sequencing  are provided  (see Table 4z2, Summary of
       Power-Up Options).

	JP14		JP37		MODE
    spin with power	spin delay

	out		out		start by ID sequence
	out		in		wait for START command
	in		don't care	start when power is applied

                          Table 4z2
                 Summary of Power-Up Options

       Start by ID Sequence:  Both JP14 and JP38 are out.  The
       disk drive  delays spinup  for approximately  11 to  13
       seconds multiplied  by the  SCSI ID.   This  allows for
       power-up sequencing.   A RESET condition results in the
       disk drive  delaying its  spinup according  to its SCSI
       ID.

       Wait for  START Command:   JP14  is out and JP38 is in.
       The disk  drive does  not spinup  until  the  initiator
       issues a  START STOP  UNIT command  with the  start bit
       equal to one.

       Start When  Power Is  Applied:   JP14 is in and JP38 is
       out.   The motor  starts as  soon as  power is applied.
       The disk drive is shipped in this configuration.

    carl

        carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
        {decvax|ucbvax} !ucsd!mpl!cdl                 cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu
                                                  clowenstein@ucsd.edu