Subject: Re: Multiple KA630 CPUs
To: None <PORT-VAX@NETBSD.ORG>
From: Roger Ivie <IVIE@cc.usu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/29/1999 16:17:07
Platlyn said:
>has anyone ever been known to use multiple KA630s? Ive read that this is =
>possible,but haven't seen anything else.

I've not used them, but I do have a copy of the KA630 manual which
does, indeed, claim that it's possible to do it. It would be very,
um, challenging.

> Could NetBSD be made to use =
> them?

Probably not. Such a system would not be a symmetric multiprocessor; the
additional KA630s would each need their own memory (which means you'd
need a custom backplane to build the system in; basically, each KA630
would have to have its own set of CD slots for the PMI). Fundamentally,
the multiprocessor support in the KA630 consists of a way to use an
external bus arbiter and a doorbell register.

Roger Ivie
ivie@cc.usu.edu