Subject: Re: compiling a kernel on an MVII
To: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Phlatlyn <phlatlyn@pacbell.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/29/1999 00:40:07
----- Original Message -----
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
To: Arno Griffioen <arno@usn.nl>
Cc: Matthias Buelow <mkb@altair.mayn.de>; <CaptnZilog@aol.com>;
<port-vax@netbsd.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 1999 8:16 AM

> > > On my VS3100 (KA-42A cpu, 24mb RAM), building the NetBSD kernel
> > > takes ~5 hours.  "Days" is surely exaggerated for anything but perhaps
> >
> Well, a MicroVAX II runs at around 1/3 the speed of both those systems
> which places it at around 15-16hrs for a kernel compile.  I'm not entirely
> sure what the average memory usage is for the compilation of the kernel
> source files, but once you start hitting swap, the performance degrades
> significantly.  So maybe a more reasonable estimate is around 1 day for
> nicely equipped VAX, but I could see it taking quite a bit longer for
> systems with less than 8 Megs of RAM.
>
> -brian.
> --- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----

My MVII doenst seem to be swapping much. It just sits there,I presume
compiling away. Everyonce in awhile it hits the FreeBSD server over the net
for some source files,then hits its local disks,and displays another line on
the terminal.It looks like the major bottle neck is the CPU speed,not memory
or disk.(I have 16,and my swap is on a reasonable fast esdi). In any event,I
will hit the 12 hour mark in about an hour and a half.