Subject: Re: Graphics support for VAXen
To: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: ville hautakangas <vhautaka@cs.Helsinki.FI>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/21/1999 20:04:01
> Be nice Emanuel.  It's obvious the poor fellow just hasn't yet seen or
> experienced the full beauty of the VAX architecture :-)  He probably
> doesn't know that even the timid VAXstation 2000 was a great little X
> Windows box back in its day.

Oh, I've had some VAXstations for over a year now, and occasionally played
with VAX/VMS and OpenVMS and DECwindows. One is actually a VAXstation
2000, with RD50 (or whatever it is, 150 MB, terrible noise it makes before it
gets warm) and 6 MB memory.

About slow and awful, I just installed a Maxtor 545 MB scsi disk on a 3100/30.
I've never seen OpenVMS start so fast! The speed difference to RZ23-E's is
staggering. Probably those evil slow hard disks combined with 8 megabytes
memory, swappity-swap, is a cause for my VAXen to seem slow.

Of course they were to the 286 PC's of their time the same as Alphas and SGI's
are to today's PC's...

- hautis