Subject: Re: booting from CD?
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/19/1999 16:14:10
on 12/19/99 3:46 PM, Lord Isildur at mrfusion@crue.jdwarren.com wrote:

> in the UNIX world, i've had a lot of good results from Xcdroast, though i
> dont know how it performs under NetBSD (havign used it under Linux)
> and in the PEeCee world, i think adaptec EZ CD creator can also handle
> raw images, though i dont think it can make them. On macintrashes, i once

All platforms suck to a certain degree, unless you have an Amiga or an SGI
sitting on your desk, I doubt you can say any of yours are good at high end
graphics, audio/video, and desktop publishing.

> used a program called 'toast' but this was several years back. I used it

Adaptec Toast is "EZ CD Creator" for the Macintosh, exact same features,
only easier to use. Although I didn't go through and do an actual burn,
selecting SCSI Copy on the Ultrix 4.5 CD worked in simulation mode. Picked
up on the block size (512-byte) and CD length, don't see why it wouldn't
work on either EZ-CD or Toast.

> to make copies of an Ultrix online documentation CD.
> are there any decent CD-burning programs in the BSD world?

If someone wants to send me a dupe of the bootable Vax CD, I'll see if it
burns and boots my VAXstation.

    Chris

--
    "I use to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure..."