Subject: Re: New equipment - and errors...
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/19/1999 14:39:32
on 12/19/99 3:14 PM, Wolfgang Rupp at rupp@chello.at wrote:

> Basically, it's a Happy Day!!!
>
> I got a MicroVAX II, a MicroVAX 2000, a DECsystem 5500 and
> a PDP-11/23+, all in one day...
> ...still happily dancing around :-))
>
> The PDP is stored until I get a decent rack for it, the VAXen
> boot into their VMS (for now :-) but the DECsystem gives me
> trouble:
>
> the self test shows two errors and the system refuses boot:
> ?67 2 0E FF 0000 0000 and
> 79 2 09 FF 0000 0001
>
> About "79" the manual says something like the CPU being not
> configured to run Prestoserve software?? For both cases, it
> recommends to call the DEC field service...
> No description of error codes in the manual, of course.
>
> Can somebody help me?
>
> Wolfgang

    I remember someone in comp.sys.dec telling me that a ? before an error
code is non-fatal. As for the 79 error, did you try resetting the NVRAM?
When I got my 5000/240 with the Prestoserve card in it, I had to remove the
card and then reset the NVRAM before I could get to the >>'s. If this
machine was running Ultrix, chances are it installed a bunch of scripts into
NVRAM that wouldn't hurt to rid yourself of. It may also be that the
Prestoserve battery is dead (one or two batteries if I remember correctly)
I've never dealt with this machine before and the Port-Pmax specs don't help
much. Hope that gives you some direction.

    Chris

--
    "I use to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure..."