Subject: Re: RZ23 HDs usable?
To: None <port-vax@netBSD.org>
From: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/16/1999 21:45:05
<> I acquired two "VAXstation 3100"s lately. I think they're Model 30, but
<> I'm not quite sure. They are both equipped with RZ23 HDs. I read
<> somewhere that disk access is so slow that I shouldn't use them at all
<> but let the VAX use NFS-exported files only, and that I won't be able to
<> boot from them. Is that still true in the latest Kernel snapshots? I'd
<> like to know that in advance before I actually install everything.

From the traffic I've seen the current kernels are doing pretty good with
RZ23 (SCSI interface) now.  The RZ23s whole small (124mb) are not that slow
though the overhead of PIO in earlier kernels would reflect poorly.

Allison