Subject: Re: booting from CD?
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@crue.jdwarren.com>
From: Anders Hogrelius SdU <elt96ahs@mds.mdh.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/16/1999 18:57:11
On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Lord Isildur wrote:

> if you can burn CDs and want a bootable NetBSD CD, your best bet is to
> build a ufs filesystem containing a live NetBSD system, make the disk
> bootable and configure things like fstab properly on it, and them dump
> the whoel disk device to a file and burn that file right on to the CD.

I've tried that, and it doesn't seem to work. The explanation seems to be
that NetBSD doesn't like to have the devicefiles on a CD. The best bet
when it comes to building a bootable CD, is to make a bootable disk with
the installation kernel and installation filesets on it. The installation
kernel has everything that's needed in it's ramdisk, and doesn't need any
devices on the CD. I've made such a installation-CD, and it works without
problem.

--
cheers,

/Anders

"Let the future tell the truth and evaluate each one according
to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs, the
future, for which I really worked, is mine."
(Nikolai Tesla, 1856-1943)

* Anders Hogrelius SdU   Phone : +46 21 381860
* Tessingatan 12         E-mail: elt96ahs@mds.mdh.se
* 72216 Vasteras