Subject: Re: Kernel and RZ56 drive
To: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofy.goof.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/08/1999 14:04:29
"Aaron J. Grier" wrote:

> about a gig each...  but the best part is that they make the cool big
> drive "chunka" noises which I find much more satisfying than 3.5"
> "chatter" sounds.  :)
>
> If you have them on a counter or desk near you, you can feel vibrations
> from the heads moving around.  A friend of mine had a pair in a BA42(?)
> (storage expansion) enclosure sitting on a cardboard box in his closet,
> and complained that it almost knocked itself off the box during
> updatedb.  :)

My "favorite" was an old 150MB Priam drive - it used to wake my Mum up
at 3am when it did the news expiry, and it lived at the other end of the
house.  RZ57's are relatively quiet :-) Talking about RZ5* series, ever
noticed that the number of sectors on an RZ56 and the size of lots of
Ultrix CD's is the same?

Simon.