Subject: Re: Weird Ethernet problems on VS3100/m30 KA42 1.2
To: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/02/1999 17:29:45
On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Chris Tribo wrote:

>     This seems really weird to me, I was running the stock 1.4.1 kernel,
> Ethernet was stable, although the system was slow. I was running an average
> of 50KB/s according to FTP. (There are only two computers on the 10Base2
> network at present) When I updated to 1.4L (DMA SCSI w/CRT), I was getting
> much faster performance all around, with the exception of top, ps and w
> being broken. But then when I went to FTP some files from the VAX to my DS,
> I was getting nothing but timeouts.

[snip]

Ragge moved us back to the machine independent lance ethernet driver.
The 1.4.1 release has the VAX specific driver.  The first one or two of
the 1.4L kernels that were distributed exhibited these timeout problems.
But I think Ragge fixed them in subsequent updates.  I've not been
following current for a while, so I'm not exactly up to date on all my
info.  Man, we could use a current snapshot right about now :-)

Does anyone know when 1.5 is scheduled to go out?

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
It was powered by one AA battery from Radio Shack, in other words, half
a normal AA battery.  -- K.