Subject: Crosscompilation Successful!!!
To: NetBSD VAX Port <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Anders Hogrelius SdU <elt96ahs@mds.mdh.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/30/1999 01:36:32
Yippikayea!!!

At last the crosscompiler for sun solaris on sparc is up and running.
This sight was really beautiful, my system booting the first kernel
compiled on solaris for the first time...

<snip>
> boot netbsd.xcmp
906184+42168+171380+[63312+64961] total=0x130b0d
Copyright (c) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999
    The NetBSD Foundation, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
    The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

NetBSD 1.4P (KA43) #7: Tue Nov 30 00:47:44 MET 1999
    elt96ahs@force:/usr/forcetmp/elt96ahs/src/sys/arch/vax/compile/KA43

VAXstation 3100/m76
cpu: KA43
</snip>

It took allmost a month to sort out all the obstacles, making a
crosscompiler that runs on solaris. I think most were related to
the fact that 1: the byteorder is different, and gcc doesnt seem
to handle that too well... 2: Sun Solaris is a System V Unix, and
there are some syscalls that are quite different to BSD.
Anyway, the next OS i'll make a crosscompiler for is SCO Unix 5.0.4
There are a lot of similarities between SCO and solaris, so i think
this will be quite easy. Most of the work is allready finished.

After that i might attack the linux port.
I think there might be quite a demand for such a beast...

I'll make the complete binary dist available for download in a couple
of days. Right now there's a lot to do at work, but i think i'll manage
to get the bindist packaged and available anyway. I'll also have to write
down some hints and tips to make the compiler run.
There's more to it than just the compiler. (Make, mkdep, lorder etc)

The smile on my lips is to wide to show with a smiley right now... :-)

0 \
 = )
0 /
--
cheers,

/Anders

"Let the future tell the truth and evaluate each one according
to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs, the
future, for which I really worked, is mine."
(Nikola Tesla, 1856-1943)

* Anders Hogrelius SdU   Phone : +46 21 381860
* Tessingatan 12         E-mail: elt96ahs@mds.mdh.se
* 72216 Vasteras